Skip to content


April 21, 2014

There’s lemonade in this somewhere…  it just might take us a while to find it this time.

Friday morning, Nell was walking to the car after a dental appointment. As she crossed around the Honda, she was distracted for a second and tripped on the tow bar that’s attached on the front. When she tried to get up, she couldn’t move her right leg and was in pain. Paramedics were called, and they took her to the emergency room at Memorial Hermann hospital at the Texas Medical Center. A lot of very nice people there have treated her wonderfully. X-rays showed a complete break in the right femur. They decided to move forward with surgery and by 5:30 pm, they rolled her into surgery, where they aligned the bone and inserted a titanium rod in the femur to hold it together. The surgery took about 1 1/2 hours, but Nell doesn’t react well to anesthesia, so they didn’t bring her up a room until after 1am Saturday morning. She spent most of Saturday (yesterday), dozing off and on, ate a couple of good meals, had visits from the kids and some of the grandkids here in Houston and from Austin.

Yesterday afternoon, the physical therapy person got her up off the bed and, with the use of a walker, helped her walk around the bed, where she sat upright in a chair for an hour with her leg elevated. There is no cast. The physical therapy people will make the final determination as to when she can leave the hospital.  Today (Sunday), she was given blood to reinforce some that was lost during surgery.  That set the physical therapy back a bit, but she has also gotten up and, with the use of a walker, made it to the bathroom several times today, each time learning a bit more about how to get around.   That leads to the question of where do we live while she goes through the healing process, which could take as much as 8 to 12 weeks.

She will need the use of a walker and wheelchair for much of that time. The four steps up into the motorhome and the narrow hallway leading to the bathroom and the bedroom aren’t going to work very well.  All of our grown kids have invited us to stay with them.  The oldest daughter lives nearest to our regular doctors and to the RV park where we’ve been staying, and we have accepted their offer to put us up for a while. They anticipated that, and started moving furniture around yesterday. We’ll camp out in Carol’s ground floor office, which is being turned into a bedroom (it has French doors), and her office is being moved to the dining room. I’ll go buy a bed on Monday, which we will ultimately use in an apartment later on. There are issues as to what exactly to do with the motorhome for the next several months, but enough decisions are being made at the moment, so that can wait a bit. All of our worldly possessions are in the motorhome.

While we have to move quickly, we’re still going to take things one step at a time. The whole focus right now is getting Nell out of the hospital, and back on both feet. Her spirits are good, and there is determination in her eyes as she works her way out of bed and up on her good leg.

We’ll keep you posted on further developments, but for now it looks like there are no travel plans in the near future.  The focus now is on getting Nell out of the hospital and eventually back on both feet.  We will find a way to turn this lemon into lemonade.


5 Comments leave one →
  1. Yorky permalink
    April 21, 2014 7:13 am

    Poor Nell, hope she has a complete recovery. Thank goodness you moved near your children.

  2. April 21, 2014 12:22 pm

    Sometimes the Universe slows us down in odd ways but yet gives us the time to sort out where we want to be and how we are going to get there. Take this time to map out your future. I hope the recovery process goes smoothly.

  3. William R Moore permalink
    April 21, 2014 1:49 pm

    Really hate hearing this sad news, hope Nell’s recovery is complete and soon. I think that if anyone can, you will make some lemonade out of this lemon. Good luck and y’all will be in my thoughts.

  4. April 22, 2014 11:40 pm

    Sorry to hear about Nell’s accident. Hope she heals well and is back to normal quickly. Take your time and do things right.

  5. April 23, 2014 11:18 am

    Sorry to hear about Nell’s accident. From what I read about you and Nell in the past you are both very strong and determined people and you will certainly rally. You will make lemonade. Best of luck to you and Nell.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: