Skip to content

RV Renovations… the Beginning

January 3, 2012

And so it begins.  The updating projects that will make the motorhome… a home.

We started by replacing the microwave, which worked fine, if you didn’t mind not being able to read the numbers on the digital readout, or having to manipulate the pushbutton that opens the microwave door, using whatever’s handy… like a kitchen knife.  It was time for a new one.

It took a little searching, because we wanted to  use the same surround.  We headed out on New Year’s Day, intending to go to Best Buy, but stopped at Home Depot on the way.  We found this Magic Chef unit that fit perfectly, except for being about an inch deeper than the original unit.  Not a problem.  The cabinet the microwave sits in is really deep.

While we were in Home Depot, Nell maneuvered me toward the flooring section.  We were helped by Ted, who not only knew flooring, but had also renovated a motorhome, including replacing the flooring.  We left with two boxes of Armstrong TrafficMaster Allure.  The design we chose is called Ashlar.

This had been an on-again, off-again do-it-yourself project.  We had been convinced that it was going to be too difficult at our age.  But, we had gotten an estimate a few months back to have the work done, and the price we got meant this work was going to have to wait a while.  On a whim, we bought the flooring material, a box cutter, and a pair of knee pads.

On the day after New Year’s Day, Nell was off work, so we jumped in.

This stuff goes down easily.  Sure, it’s work, and for non-professionals, it takes time.  The hardest part is getting down on your knees to measure, getting back up to mark the cuts, getting back down to make the cuts, carry the new piece to where it goes, then down again to match the new piece to the last one.  The knee pads were money well-spent.

We’ve decided that we’ll leave the carpet.  It’s not in bad shape, and we’re not ready to change it out.  So we’ll run the vinyl flooring up to the carpet.  That space at the bottom of the photo is where the cutting and trimming take place, so we’ll do that area last.

View forward from bedroom door into kitchen

The two of us worked about 7 1/2 hours on Monday.  She had to go back to work today, so I worked alone, putting in about 5 or 6 hours.  Someone younger might be done by now, but I’m not running a race, so it’s okay.  At the end of the day today, the kitchen/dining area and hallway are done, except for the triangular area near the door.

Bathroom floor partially done

All that remains to be done is all the odd shapes in the bathroom, which will be a bit like a jigsaw puzzle, and the area up front that adjoins the carpet.  By the time the job is finished, we will have used almost four full boxes of the flooring material.

View looking back down hall past bathroom door

There are a few joints that could be tighter in places, but we’re really pleased with the way the new flooring looks.  One more good day, and this project will be almost done.  We’ll add quarter round throughout where the floor meets the wall, which will trim things out nicely, and also cover a few bad cuts.

Now I’ve started researching how to paint the walls, and Nell is looking at how to update the padded valances around the windows.

3 Comments leave one →
  1. Yorky permalink
    January 4, 2012 7:57 am

    Good job Ralph.


  2. January 4, 2012 12:43 pm

    I am SOOOO impressed. You are both awesome! I hope your backs feel okay!

  3. January 4, 2012 11:58 pm

    That looks really great Ralph. I really enjoy seeing folks personalize their RVs. Hope you keep reporting on your improvements.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: